An SBAT offers students the option of combining a senior secondary program with part-time employment, school and training. Students must be a minimum of 15 years of age to undertake an SBAT.
The program is undertaken under a Training Contract with U Train and has a training plan registered with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA). The training must lead to a nationally recognised qualification. All of U Trains programs are with a Certificate III qualification.
An SBAT is an integral part of the student’s senior secondary learning program and study timetable. Regular school attendance is combined with a minimum of one timetabled day a week of employment and/or structured training. The time requirements of work and training for the SBAT are undertaken at an average of 13 hours a week over each four month period, each year. U Train employs trainees for 7 hours each week and sends the trainees to Host Employers. The trainee is working in the industry and practising the skills they are learning in training.
For an apprenticeship or traineeship to be registered as an SBAT with U Train it must:
- be under a Training Contract with U Train
- include paid work under at appropriate industrial instrument (working with a Host Employer, being paid by U Train)
- include work relevant to the qualification being undertaken by the student
- lead to a nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- be integrated into the student’s school-based learning program, study timetable and career plan, and
- include training that complies with an approved training scheme for the certificate being undertaken and at a level appropriate for the student. The school’s endorsement of the Training Plan indicates that:
- the student is enrolled in VCE or VCAL
- the SBAT forms part of the student’s career plan and study timetable
- the student is undertaking genuine paid employment under a Training Contract. Schools should sign a Training Plan only if, after speaking with the student, employer and training provider, it is sure it meets all necessary requirements for an SBAT arrangement.